Sunday 1 May 2011

MASTER BEDROOM: 3 way mirror

It has been a bit of an ordeal trying to find a 3 way mirror for my dressing table which doesn't break the bank, but I think I finally may have cracked it! This is how I got there....

First I bought a mirror from the a charity warehouse for £8, bargain I thought, yes the top was currently separate from the bottom and it could do with a lick of paint but I would work it out. So I painted it and put it on the dressing table....




It looked lovely but I could get the side mirrors to sit straight and the weight of them made the whole thing pretty unstable. I concluded that fixing it may be possible but was beyond my DIY capabilities so decided to sell it at the car boot I went to, hoping to make a profit, it ended up being one of the last items on the stall and I sold it for only £1! Oh well, you win some you loose some, so back to the drawing board....

I went to the vintage fair today with hopes of finding one there. The fair ended up being smaller that predicted so I ended up going on the the Antique Emporium afterwards as I had some additional time and still wanted a mirror. After a bit of hunting I came across this little gem for £15...
 ...it needed a lick of paint but this time I checked it was good and sturdy by itself without any need for fixing. This one, interestingly, doesn't actually have a base plate but stands on the actual edges of the frame of the mirror and is able to because it is so heavy.

So I started by placing masking tape round each mirror....
Then I picked out what paint colour I wanted to use from all my sample pots...























Then I painted....
Then I used some regular furniture wax to waterproof and finish off with a sheeny finish rather than a matt one...
Then I removed the masking tape, gave the mirrors a good clean with vinegar and newspaper (old trick which works wonders) and placed it in position...


Job done! x

No comments:

Post a Comment